News & Events
TNPSC GROUP 1 CHALLENGE-PRIVATE MEMBER BILL
PRIVATE MEMBER BILL
In this article, you can read about the Private Member’s Bill in India. This is an important topic for the UPSC exam as it was seen in the news in recent times.
A bill introduced by the member of Parliament who is not a Minister, i.e, a non-government member is known as the Private members bill. Members of Parliament other than ministers are private members. Private Members can also move legislative proposal or Bill which he/she thinks is appropriate to be present in the Statute Book. However, it must be noted that a private member can give a maximum of three notices for the introduction of Private Members Bills during a Session.
Bills introduced by ministers are called Government Bills.
1. Members of Parliament of both the ruling party as well as the opposition can introduce a Private Member Bill.
2. Such bill can be introduced in the parliament only with the prior notice of at least a month.
3. The Private Member bill, in order to become an act, must be passed in both the houses.
4. Once passed in both houses, Presidential assent is also mandatory for the bill to become an Act.
5. Such Bills can be introduced and discussed only on Fridays.
6. The number of private member bills have been capped to 3 per session of Parliament.
President’s role in a Private Member Bill
According to the preset traditions, the President of India can use his powers of absolute veto and can easily discard a private member bill.
Committee on Private Members’ Bills and Resolutions:
This committee classifies bills and allocates time for the discussion on bills and resolutions introduced by private members (other than ministers). This is a special committee of the Lok Sabha and consists of 15 members including the Deputy Speaker as its chairman. The Rajya Sabha does not have any such committee. The same function in the Rajya Sabha is performed by the Business Advisory Committee of that House.
List of private members bills
Since 1952, only 14 private member’s bills have become laws. Out of the 300 odd private members bills that were introduced in the 14th Lok Sabha, only about 4% were discussed and the rest 96% lapsed without any debate.
In 2018, MP from Thiruvananthapuram Shashi Tharoor introduced a private member’s bill to regulate betting in sports and penalise match fixing.