News & Events
TNPSC GROUP -4 CHALLENGE-Historical Facts about Tamil Nadu
Historical Facts about Tamil Nadu:
• Sangam Period is the glorious pride and rich cultural heritage of ancient south India spanning the present region of Tamil Nadu and parts of Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
• Sangam period corresponds to 3rd century BC to 3rd century AD.
• The literature works developed in the Sangam Period is called as Sangam Literature. Sangam literature is considered as set of thousands of poems developed by hundreds of contemporary poets many of whom are still unknown.
• Ancient Tamil history is marked by the kingdoms of Chera, Chola and Pandya. Sangam literature is known to flourish under the patronage of these kingdoms.
• The medieval period of Tamil Nadu is marked by Pallav Dynasty under Mahendravarman who ruled Tamil Nadu with Kanchipuram as their capital from 4th to 8th century.
• Pallavs were later replaced by Chola dynasty in 9th century. Chola dynasty was in-turn replaced by Pandyan dynasty in 13th century.
• The last phase of medieval Tamil history witnessed the rising of a rich, powerful and extremely prosperous hindu empire called Vijaynagar empire (1336-1646) established by Harihar and Bukka Rai. Vijaynagar kingdom ruled with a glorious heritage for two centuries and is also called as the richest empire ever of Indian history.
• Vijaynagar kingdom came to end after defeat from Deccan sultanates in Battle of Talikota in 1565.
• During British period Tamil Nadu was called as Madras presidency. After Indian independence Madras presidency was renamed as Madras state.
• Madras state comprised of the present areas of Tamil Nadu including parts of karnataka, kerala and coastal Andhra.
• After State Reorganization Act of 1956, many regions of Madras state were separated out. Tamil Nadu state eventually came to existence on 14 Jan 1969.
• The legislative council was abolished in 1986 and Tamil Nadu became unicameral state.